I hope you have had a break and are ready for a new and challenging term. The classroom door will be open at 8.55am and school will begin at 9.00am. Some children have been arriving after 9am; this means they are losing learning time. Please ensure your children are arriving on time for school every day.
This term we will start our ‘Destination: Out of Space’ topic. We will describe the movement of the Earth and other planets relative to the sun in the solar system; describe the movement of the moon relative to the Earth; describe the sun, Earth and moon as approximately spherical bodies and use the idea of the Earth’s rotation to explain day and night and the apparent movement of the sun across the sky.
In literacy, we will continue our study of ‘Holes’. We will be writing letters and diaries to learn about the change of formality when writing for different purposes.
In Maths for the Summer term we will learning to:
- add and subtract fractions with the same denominator and denominators that are multiples of the same number
- multiply proper fractions and mixed numbers by whole numbers, supported by materials and diagrams
- read and write decimal numbers as fractions [for example, 0.71 = 100 71 ]
- recognise and use thousandths and relate them to tenths, hundredths and decimal equivalents
- round decimals with two decimal places to the nearest whole number and to one decimal place
- read, write, order and compare numbers with up to three decimal places
- solve problems involving number up to three decimal places recognise the per cent symbol (%) and understand that per cent relates to ‘number of parts per hundred’, and write percentages as a fraction with denominator 100, and as a decimal
- solve problems which require knowing percentage and decimal equivalents of 2 1 , 4 1 , 5 1 , 5 2 , 5 4 and those fractions with a denominator of a multiple of 10 or 25.
Spellings are usually given out on a Tuesday but sometimes it is more beneficial to have developed the list as a class; this means there is not a set day when they are given out. However, a spelling pattern will be known by the children from Tuesday onwards.
We will be more than happy to see you at 8.55am or 3.30pm if there are any concerns in school that you wish to discuss.
Mrs Fenna & Mrs Elliott
Year 5 Teachers
Mrs Fenna and Mrs Elliott
Mrs Hilton and Mrs Lupton
w/c 14th May 2018
Year 6 SATs
20th May 2018
Final Kingswood payment
25th May 2018
Year 5 P.E. is Wednesday and Friday.
PE and MFL is taught by specialists on Wednesday afternoons
Please ensure your child has their full kit for those days. The kit is:
- White t-shirt
- Blue shorts/joggers
Library day: Monday
Reading Books: Reading books need to be back in on a Friday. Only books with comments will be changed.
Please read with your child daily and ensure they have their book-bags in school every day.
Homework grids will be in books in the first week of each half term. Mrs Fenna will collect these on a Tuesday to check and mark homework. They are returned either Tuesday or Wednesday.
It is the child’s responsibility to hand it in. It is expected that all children achieve at least Bronze award and they will be encouraged to go to homework club when this is not achieved at home.