Hello and welcome back! We hope you had a lovely 6 weeks off and that you’re all feeling refreshed and ready for a brand new school year. We’re already really excited for the year ahead!
This half term, our main topic of “Fire & Fantasy” will feed into many of our lessons across the curriculum. In History, we’ll learn about when, where and why the Great Fire of London happened as well as comparing the differences between London then and now. We’ll use our detective skills to ask and answer questions using artefacts and sources. In Art, we’ll be using the Great Fire of London as a stimulus for paintings and sculptures and, in DT, we’ll get into character of the bakers and make our own products.
In Literacy, Year 1 will be focusing on writing full, punctuated sentences for a given purpose. They will do this through writing fact files, diary entries and stories.
In Maths Year 1 will be:
- Counting forwards and backwards to 10
- Reading, writing and counting numbers to 10 in numerals and words
- Identifying one more and one less than a number up to 10
- Using language of more than, less than and equal to
- Learning number bonds within 10 including related subtraction facts
- Adding and subtracting 1 digit numbers to 10 including 0
In Science, our topic is Marvellous Materials. Year 1 will:
- identify and name a variety of everyday materials
- distinguish between an object and the material from which it is made
- describe the simple physical properties of a variety of everyday materials
- compare and group together a variety of everyday materials
Reading books and records
There are several times during the week when your child is asked for their reading book and/or record. This includes new spellings, book change and adults reading 1:1 with them. Please ensure that your child remembers to bring their book and record to school every day.
If you have any problems, concerns or questions please do not hesitate to see one of us before school at 8:55am or after school at 3.30pm.
Miss R Holyoak, Mrs H Street & Mrs M Richardson
Year 1 Teacher
Tuesday 12th September
Fire Brigade visit
Friday 20th October
Monday 30th October
Back to school
Wednesday 1st November
Parent’s consultation meetings
Parent sessions this year will take place on:
Wednesday 15th November
Thursday 15th March
Tuesday 26th June
P.E. Days: Monday and Friday
Please ensure that your child has a named P.E. kit in school at all times.
Library day: Thursday
Reading Books changes: Thursday/Friday
Please read with your child daily and ensure they have their book-bags in school every day.
Please hand homework books in on a Thursday to be handed back out on a Friday.
In Year 1, spellings will be sent home in your child’s reading record on a spellings will be sent home and tested on a Friday.
All spellings can also be found on the class pages on the website.